New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Im a beta tester and not 100% certain what I'm allowed to release info-wise, but since pictures etc have been posted I think I'm fine chiming in with this info.

What I can say in regards to people's fear of the pumps burning up super quick - the pump isnt always spinning at max RPM or even at 3/4x the stock fuel rail pressure at all times per given situation. At idle I'm still only seeing 750ish psi rail pressure, not 2300psi so I'd assume much like a transmission the Helix (maybe along with or due to the tuning?) has different "gears" or at least drive speeds it functions at. I've yet to hear of too many HPFP even going out early due to the shotgun setup which I can only assume is intrinsically always spinning faster than the Helix at idle-low rpm due to being driven by the belt which isnt speed adjustable AFAIK and since its driven by a pulley not a gear set, it would have to always be running Yx faster for any given RPM. Really the only time I see the rail pressure go to 3800+ on my base tune is when WOT and the boost target gets significantly high. I currently have a beta unit that is different from the final release one (afaik only one relatively small change between the version I have and production version will be made) and was told that even though they've made a change, they still have plenty of cars that have put significant amounts of miles on this version of the OD, they just want to make the aforementioned minor change to ensure 0 issues at launch instead of a "beta phase 2" on public release like with other products on this platform - I was specifically told by Spool about one that is the same exact version as what I'm running that has been going strong for over 30k miles with no issues, so you won't be changing your pump in 5-10k unless it was already on it's way out and you just got unlucky. I'm running mine on the HPFP that was on the car when I bought it, which is the revised HPFP as far as I can tell but still has at least 65-70k on it.

I've also heard rumors from (likely) beta testers of other rigorous testing being done by Spool that I havent personally confirmed with Spool but if true you *really* shouldn't need to worry about the pumps going out every 6, 12 or 20k miles especially on a new unit.

Other things I feel comfortable saying or confirming: the installation is pretty straight forward, if a bit time consuming for someone like me who had never taken the IM off and had to source some extra tools for install but I was also being very anal about things including how I was routing or re-routing things in my engine bay after the actual Helix was installed rather than just dropping it in willy nilly and testing. I now have a boost or vacuum leak I need to locate and fix, but upon initial install and flashing of the tune everything seemed to be working perfectly, to the point where I had to be careful driving on the street at first and almost re-learn my car due to the clearly giant jump in HP from the one simple part. No need to mess around with installing a PI controller, tweaking the tuning on either the DME or standalone for fueling, and way less parts to install. Just dropped it in and had my mind blown by what I was experiencing even though I had already had high expectations.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Im a beta tester and not 100% certain what I'm allowed to release info-wise, but since pictures etc have been posted I think I'm fine chiming in with this info.

What I can say in regards to people's fear of the pumps burning up super quick - the pump isnt always spinning at max RPM or even at 3/4x the stock fuel rail pressure at all times per given situation. At idle I'm still only seeing 750ish psi rail pressure, not 2300psi so I'd assume much like a transmission the Helix (maybe along with or due to the tuning?) has different "gears" or at least drive speeds it functions at. I've yet to hear of too many HPFP even going out early due to the shotgun setup which I can only assume is intrinsically always spinning faster than the Helix at idle-low rpm due to being driven by the belt which isnt speed adjustable AFAIK and since its driven by a pulley not a gear set, it would have to always be running Yx faster for any given RPM. Really the only time I see the rail pressure go to 3800+ on my base tune is when WOT and the boost target gets significantly high. I currently have a beta unit that is different from the final release one (afaik only one relatively small change between the version I have and production version will be made) and was told that even though they've made a change, they still have plenty of cars that have put significant amounts of miles on this version of the OD, they just want to make the aforementioned minor change to ensure 0 issues at launch instead of a "beta phase 2" on public release like with other products on this platform - I was specifically told by Spool about one that is the same exact version as what I'm running that has been going strong for over 30k miles with no issues, so you won't be changing your pump in 5-10k unless it was already on it's way out and you just got unlucky. I'm running mine on the HPFP that was on the car when I bought it, which is the revised HPFP as far as I can tell but still has at least 65-70k on it.

I've also heard rumors from (likely) beta testers of other rigorous testing being done by Spool that I havent personally confirmed with Spool but if true you *really* shouldn't need to worry about the pumps going out every 6, 12 or 20k miles especially on a new unit.

Other things I feel comfortable saying or confirming: the installation is pretty straight forward, if a bit time consuming for someone like me who had never taken the IM off and had to source some extra tools for install but I was also being very anal about things including how I was routing or re-routing things in my engine bay after the actual Helix was installed rather than just dropping it in willy nilly and testing. I now have a boost or vacuum leak I need to locate and fix, but upon initial install and flashing of the tune everything seemed to be working perfectly, to the point where I had to be careful driving on the street at first and almost re-learn my car due to the clearly giant jump in HP from the one simple part. No need to mess around with installing a PI controller, tweaking the tuning on either the DME or standalone for fueling, and way less parts to install. Just dropped it in and had my mind blown by what I was experiencing even though I had already had high expectations.
Thanks for sharing. The Helix sounds super promising.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Thanks for sharing. The Helix sounds super promising.
It really is. At this point I'm honestly happy that the Shotgun setups wont work on my car due to my AC delete, despite my general admiration of VTTs accessories. If the power levels I was told about from Spool are truly acconplishable (which butt dyno and a base map tell me they definitely should be) are true, I'll double that statement.
that's the control valve's function.
I dont know much about the VCV tuning side of things, let alone the other non-public tables that are being tuned. All I know is with exlusively DME control and the Helix in place plus the info I've been provided, I dont think its going to be nearly the issue that the fear mongerers or people who are worried about their PI becoming inferior and overpriced are expecting it to be is what I'm getting at.

Reactions: Torgus and RNM

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas

I mean I have to correct this. I always thought a planetary set would be a cool proof of concept, but ratios are ratios. Pressure targets will require less FCV duty cycle, but pump is spinning faster 100% of the time, that’s how overdrive systems work.

There’s no gears or tuning magic other than a raised FCV duty limit that’s unreleased, because politics. That table may help factory guys too but if you want to test them, direct questions to jake and martial, because they are hoarding them from everybody currently.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
There’s no gears or tuning magic other than a raised FCV duty limit that’s unreleased, because politics. That table may help factory guys too but if you want to test them, direct questions to jake and martial, because they are hoarding them from everybody currently.

Come on man. Hoarding? :tearsofjoy: the HPFP control isn't simple and I think there's still a bit more work to be done. There's flow control mode, pressure control mode, flow to pressure transition and vice versa, fuel volume model, fuel volume req to amp current req, amp current req to duty cycle, current controller P and I, current adaptations, fuel req PID, and a few more I can't think of off the top of my head.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
surely a single base duty cycle table is enough to get anyone in the ball park of their objectives?

bmw engineers must have had plenty of spare time on their hands making simple things so complicated.

• Funny
Reactions: veer90

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
surely a single base duty cycle table is enough to get anyone in the ball park of their objectives?

bmw engineers must have had plenty of spare time on their hands making simple things so complicated.

It has been tested and no it is not. If you just edit the base DC you are going to have a rollercoaster of rail pressure and drops you can't explain.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’m curious. Did the beta testers get a modified bin to use which included these changes to control the HPFP?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Looks like most of them are being tuned by Ken/wedge.
Thanks. Hopefully the cost of the unit includes at least one free bin update for us self-tuners. While I would prefer to have access to the XDF with the HPFP tables defined for my own experimentation, I would also be happy with having MHD flashing options for an installed Helix like the way the ignition dwell tables are modified when checking the PR coils option.

• Agree
Reactions: JBacon335

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Ken's been tuning the Helix since March timeframe I think and a particular car made over 700+ whp using it. I guess I'm missing something but I would think it's figured out at this point given the amount of beta testers and time it's been on the road. There are several competent tuners like @V8bait that could be testing it out and providing input. Being that it's been only Wedge from what I can tell, and you'll have to pay for the tune, makes it appear a little suspicious. Sounds like mine will be sitting in the box for awhile I guess.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I don't think it's going to work anything like that. First off, most people are on a tuning path with someone ... not hopping around. I suspect most of the mainline tuners will be up to speed. This is not the first product that they are incorporating tuning-wise.

For instance, posted earlier today on the BQTuning FB page:

Filippo

Reactions: SJ_1989

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
The XDFs will be updated. Unsure on an MHD checkbox at this time, as it would be dependent on your power level.
im running a tune by Justin H. so with the SpoolPerformance Helix OD could there be a checkbox?as for power level im not looking to break records here,600-650max for me.Or implement something would be great.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Like I said, unsure if adding a checkbox for this makes sense. The OD can be used by stock turbo users who want full E85, mild twin upgrades, ST cars, etc and the table settings will vary.

Safe bet will be to just have your tune updated.