New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Good video. What needs to be done on the low pressure side to take advantage of this HPFP upgrade?

FWIW, I'm running MOTIV single-turbo with a Gen2 GTX3576r and a Stage 2 Fuel-It set-up. Not looking for more than 550 -600 whp, but may want to add Flex-Fuel and E85 mix in future.
You're probably fine with the Walbro 450, but will want larger fuel lines if running ethanol.

Filippo

Reactions: MDORPHN

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Any benefit of upgrading the lines if not strictly running E85?

They flow fine on 93 from everything I have read. Given the lack of displacement you can't put a large enough turbo on the motor that 93 octane would be limited by the stock fuel lines. Well I guess you could put one on but it would be a lag monster with the power band of 100 RPMs and you couldn't close the hood ;)

E85 you need to flow what 40% more fuel? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent <-- It takes 1.39 gallons of E85 to have the same energy as 1 gallon of conventional dino juice. Because it is less energy dense you have to inject more hence bigger lines and our HPFP limits on E85 and everyone adding in port fuel injection.

Now if you ever have plans or thoughts of running pure E85 upgrading the lines would not hurt and are semi inexpensive. But it seems you really need to upgrade everything as the lines are worthless without more & higher volume pumps and then you probably want an external FPR and not dead head the system like stock but use a fuel return line etc.

I would kill to have E85 more available. It's just not practical for me to run it so I guess I get to save spending 2k on my fuel system. Part of me would like to do it just for some glory pull numbers on E85 but again, just really not practical if 99% of the time I am not running it and the hassle of tuning it on a fuel I basically never use.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Obviously it's easier to run full e85 but even at full ethanol and depending on season it could be anywhere from e50-e85 so without taxing the fuel system too much I think to just run up to e50/e60 should be sufficient fuel delivery.once you go past that theres not much difference then running e85 anyway.all e85 pumps have different ethanol content.

Reactions: Idratherbesurfing

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
So i swapped out my broken hpfp a few months ago. Physically it looked and felt fine so maybe seals or a check valve failed on it. It had about 75k miles on it but for 40k of those miles meth was taking up a lot of the hard work.
I'd be quite concerned about spinning one of those things at 3x speed. I'm hoping the replacement I've put in which wasn't cheap will last at least 50k at 1x speed.

Reactions: Jeffman

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I'm curious as to whether or not the shotgun really flowing more is true - the math a few posts back is impressive but is based on pixel-measuring so let's take it with a grain of salt. Until theres a *third party* test of both with the typical tuning changes for each in place (i.e. none for the shotgun, all the voodoo magic for the helix), or until Helix releases gear sizing and VTT releases RPMs of the shotgun I dont know that I'll trust anyone saying for certain that the single shotgun outflows the 3x Helix or vice versa.

Not trying to disrespect the shotgun setups at all because they've been proven successful and I was going to get one myself for a while because I dont like the idea of adding PI and the complications that come with it. But I do also wonder about parasitic losses when adding another pulley, belt slip, etc. I deleted my AC in order to save weight and lower parasitic losses (remember, the more HP you make the more you lose to each pulley - another simple and common mod no one on the platform ever seems to think about because of the ease of just upping the boost) and would run an under drive pulley kit if one was available for the car, which is another benefit to the Helix IMO.

But at the end of the day it's a good thing for everyone that we'll have multiple DI-only options, users will be able to pick and choose which one they need for their setup and it should push each vendor to continue to improve their products or come up with new ways to make power.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
emember, the more HP you make the more you lose to each pulley
What do you mean by that? I know generally people accept a percentage for crank to wheel drivetrain loss, but even transmissions have a set amount of hp they use. An alternator takes a specific amount of power to run, which won't increase as the engine makes more power. Same with the AC compressor.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
What do you mean by that? I know generally people accept a percentage for crank to wheel drivetrain loss, but even transmissions have a set amount of hp they use. An alternator takes a specific amount of power to run, which won't increase as the engine makes more power. Same with the AC compressor.
The amount of hp lost increases with motor output, but the percentage stays the same is what he is saying.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Sure there may be "diminishing returns" on the % of power lost to pulleys, but it's still there and it's free horsepower by switching to under drive pulleys or eliminating a pulley, otherwise there wouldnt be a reason so many companies make them for so many platforms. My main point was that the Shotgun likely adds some parasitic loss, which most dont care about but some do - as evidenced by these posts.

Even if it "maxes out" at robbing 12hp for the AC compressor once you're making 600 crank, 7hp for the Shotgun pulley (total guess, not saying it does take that exact amount) and you still have your drivetrain loss to factor in, why would you want to leave the extra ~20hp on the table? We pay $100 for DCIs which gain 5hp on a stock setup and reduce WGDC, why not gain more and similarly reduce stress on part of the system?

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Even if it "maxes out" at robbing 12hp for the AC compressor once you're making 600 crank, 7hp for the Shotgun pulley (total guess, not saying it does take that exact amount) and you still have your drivetrain loss to factor in, why would you want to leave the extra ~20hp on the table? We pay $100 for DCIs which gain 5hp on a stock setup and reduce WGDC, why not gain more and similarly reduce stress on part of the system?
No offense but I think everyone is aware that a lighter or smaller pulley does free up parasitic loss. If you wanted DI only, there wasn't any other option besides the shotgun before, so nobody had a choice in the matter. It also sounds like your saying that we're crazy for not tossing the A/C for the extra 10 HP it frees up, which is crazy in my opinion LOL.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Why not toss ac? Because sweat.

Everyone's tolerance for removing parts is different. Why not chuck the airbags too? Get a hard light race seat. It never stops. Hell, it only stops once you are driving a death kart!

Reactions: gmagnus7