New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Wouldn't the Helix being driven off the timing chain still be a parasitic loss??
Why do we care about some parasitic loss in the face of a huge fueling increase (with corresponding power)? Not sure I understand why you're pointing this out (I'm sure there is a reason!)

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Why do we care about some parasitic loss in the face of a huge fueling increase (with corresponding power)? Not sure I understand why you're pointing this out (I'm sure there is a reason!)

Filippo

People are trying to say this is better than the shotgun setup due to no parasitic loss, but they both have they're losses. So it is a moot point... I just wanna see some results

Reactions: fmorelli

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York

Filippo

If anything it results in the fuel heating up. Pressure is regulated the vcv. Excess is bypassed. The ability to allow excess pressure to bypass helps with the parasitic loss.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
No offense but I think everyone is aware that a lighter or smaller pulley does free up parasitic loss. If you wanted DI only, there wasn't any other option besides the shotgun before, so nobody had a choice in the matter. It also sounds like your saying that we're crazy for not tossing the A/C for the extra 10 HP it frees up, which is crazy in my opinion LOL.
Your first two points were tied together in my post, I was talking about the shotgun adding extra parasitic loss. Nowhere did I claim I had ground breaking news about running a smaller and lighter pulley - as a matter of fact the point of my original post was that you arent adding an entirely new pulley this way, which is part of why I mentioned the parasitic loss in the first place.

Fortunately for us, there is other ways to stay DI only now, just like theres better ways of using extra injectors than running them at the throttle body. Progress. I won't directly address the last part of your post because that's a riddle anyone who can read more than 4 sentences should be able to figure out after reading a post about adding extra pulleys vs the lack of use of under drive pulleys on this platform. Theres tons and tons of street cars out there running a set of under drive pulleys with no issue. Maybe not the guys stuck watching 2fast2furious who need neon lights and need TVs in their trunks, but I assure you plenty of people have minimized their HP losses without losing their AC.

Yes, but it's incremental as the stock HPFP -- which the Helix spins faster -- is already run off the timing chain.

Neil
Not quite a moot point when you look at adding another pulley that has no details on it released vs using the original drive location. Especially considering for the pulley route to run comparable HP levels you'll need to have both pumps in place.

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Your first two points were tied together in my post, I was talking about the shotgun adding extra parasitic loss. Nowhere did I claim I had ground breaking news about running a smaller and lighter pulley...
I do agree about your pulley point, just seemed like you were trying to school us or something. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the data.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
So back to our regular programming...

How are the beta testers making out? Any preliminary findings, comments or concerns to report? Any install issues? Any burnt out HPFPs? Any engine fires? Any new HP records DI-only?

Reactions: RNM and The Banshee

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
So back to our regular programming...

How are the beta testers making out? Any preliminary findings, comments or concerns to report? Any install issues? Any burnt out HPFPs? Any engine fires? Any new HP records DI-only?
No concerns to report, I wasnt a big fan of moving the small hard line during install but other than that it's still easy. My HPFP is still doing excellently, having no problem hitting 3800PSI on my base map despite the car being at 133k miles (I think the fuel pump was changed somewhere prior to 59k miles though because that's when I bought it.) No burnt engines to report. The only issue I've ever heard of since joining the beta was on Spool's shop car running the first iteration of the 3x Helix which was pretty minor all things considered, and it's been fixed since before any pre-order announcement or more detailed pictures were posted.

There's a very impressive e85-only whp number that was made with a 6266 recently on the 3x pump, but since I was told about it by Spool directly and havent seen it advertised I'm going to keep the exact number secret for now. Let's just say a good amount of people who answered @doublespaces "what would you like to see from this?" question will be very happy, and I would bet money theres going to be a new DI-only record very soon here.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Curious to see how unit works with fuel comparisons of e30, e50, e85, ms109, c16.

I bought 10 gal of C16 before I had a chance to get a 4x. I'll post results of C16 and C85, both logs and dynos, hopefully in a month. Just need the xdf's to tune it....although I'm a little confused as to why this needs tuned when the shotgun doesn't.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
They got around properly tuning the shotgun by maxing the rail pressure sensor so they didn't run into issues. Ask for a log of it running say 2500psi flat, 2800psi flat, etc :)

Yes, VTT is quick to claim the shotgun has been working flawlessly for years (throwing shade at you for saying tuning is needed) but their very own posts on N54 post going back for several years are proof that's not the case.

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Curious to see how unit works with fuel comparisons of e30, e50, e85, ms109, c16.

I don't see any reason to run full E85 other than being lazy and not wanting to mix. To me e30-e60 would be ideal but thats just me.

yeah, im not going to ever be making enough power to run out of headroom with this thing on full e85, so id rather just fill up with the good stuff and not worry about blending.

if you have capacity, why wouldn't you run it straight? makes zero sense to spend money on race fuel when your fuel system supports full strength ethanol