Servotronic on a 335i

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yeah I re-read post #64 in that thread and I think you might be right... there does seem to be physical variations to the JBBF units between say an "L1" and an "M" variant. I was skeptical since all JBBF 3 have the same part number... and it shows interchangeable between 135i and 1M. However, the pictures show there are difference in the relays inside of the JBBF. So... pretty much everyone who said they got this working without the "M" variant was just feeling placebo???!!!

I guess I am on the hunt for a JBBF 3 stamped "M" now. Seems to be the smoking gun.

If you go back and look at my post, it shows the M stamp. I don't recall ever changing it, perhaps because I'm E93.

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Yeah I re-read post #64 in that thread and I think you might be right... there does seem to be physical variations to the JBBF units between say an "L1" and an "M" variant. I was skeptical since all JBBF 3 have the same part number... and it shows interchangeable between 135i and 1M. However, the pictures show there are difference in the relays inside of the JBBF. So... pretty much everyone who said they got this working without the "M" variant was just feeling placebo???!!!

I guess I am on the hunt for a JBBF 3 stamped "M" now. Seems to be the smoking gun.
Cheapest M Stamp JBBF 3

If I were you, I'd place an order for that one as its currently basically the only one on ebay right now unless you opt to buy a brand new module.

Once you get the servotronic working, you'll know exactly how I feel and you most likely would not want anymore assist from the pump lol

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
If you go back and look at my post, it shows the M stamp. I don't recall ever changing it, perhaps because I'm E93.

damn so now I need to read back through all these threads and try to find which cars to source an "M" module from. I could've sworn I saw someone list out a few cars. X1 for sure...

Anyone want to consolidate all this info eventually? so many moving parts across these various threads to keep track of and I know a lot of people are also out there pulling their hair out thinking they did something wrong lol Don't want to steal anyone's credit by consolidating it.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
damn so now I need to read back through all these threads and try to find which cars to source an "M" module from. I could've sworn I saw someone list out a few cars. X1 for sure...

Anyone want to consolidate all this info eventually? so many moving parts across these various threads to keep track of and I know a lot of people are also out there pulling their hair out thinking they did something wrong lol Don't want to steal anyone's credit by consolidating it.

Feel free to make a guide, it's easy to put link references.

As long as it's on this site, I don't mind the little I do I contributed being used.

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Post to end all servotronic retrofit questions:

Requirements:
  1. Apprentice level knowledge with NCSExpert. I am assuming that you already know how to manipulate your cars vehicle order and production date if you have <07/2008 build. Obviously you'll be writing your new production date and/or VO to your CAS module by selecting FA_Write
  2. JBBF 3 M stamp / part numbers: 9329800 OR 9364819
    1. From E93/E84/E89 doesn't matter. Pinouts seem to be exactly the same between the three chassis'
  3. Wire servotronic pwm (black/brown to pin 5, black/white to pin 6) to the plug in the back (x14270)
  4. Add $216 to your vehicle order (VO) and default code your new "2JBBF" module and KOMBI module (default coding will overwrite any custom coding)
  5. Enjoy your super quick and agile steering rack.
Bonus: rear sunshade retrofit (E90 and E92 only)
  1. Install rear deck sunshade and bring both wires up to x14270 which is the same plug you used for the servotronic
  2. Install new center console switch panel with the sunshade button
  3. Wire motor into the JBBF (Yellow to pin 3 and White to pin 30 on x14270)
  4. Add $415 to your vehicle order and default code JBBF
  5. Enjoy your new rear sunshade

I will update this post once I figure out if NETTODAT coding the servotronic values works.

NOTE: If you have a pre 2008 car, you will need to bring two wires from the obd2 port into x14271. Pin 6 on obd2 to pin 17 in x14271 and Pin 14 on obd2 to pin 33 in x14271.

You will then need to change the production date on your car by going into the VO page on NCSExpert, removing your #MM/YY and adding any date past 2008. For example #0310

P.S. There was a single post on a different forum on a JBBF 2 possibly having the provisions for servotronic. It has been (to my knowledge) untested so I will always and only recommend the two part numbers listed above.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Cheapest M Stamp JBBF 3

If I were you, I'd place an order for that one as its currently basically the only one on ebay right now unless you opt to buy a brand new module.

Once you get the servotronic working, you'll know exactly how I feel and you most likely would not want anymore assist from the pump lol
Yeah there's no way it's placebo for me. Servotronic is definitely working and yes, there is a lot of assist. Not buick status but it's noticably assisted compared to the stock steering rack.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Post to end all servotronic retrofit questions:

Requirements:
  1. Apprentice level knowledge with NCSExpert. I am assuming that you already know how to manipulate your cars vehicle order and production date if you have <07/2008 build. Obviously you'll be writing your new production date and/or VO to your CAS module by selecting FA_Write
  2. JBBF 3 M stamp / part numbers: 9329800 OR 9364819
    1. From E93/E84/E89 doesn't matter. Pinouts seem to be exactly the same between the three chassis'
  3. Wire servotronic pwm (black/brown to pin 5, black/white to pin 6) to the plug in the back (x14270)
  4. Add $216 to your vehicle order (VO) and default code your new "2JBBF" module and KOMBI module (default coding will overwrite any custom coding)
  5. Enjoy your super quick and agile steering rack.
Bonus: rear sunshade retrofit (E90 and E92 only)
  1. Install rear deck sunshade and bring both wires up to x14270 which is the same plug you used for the servotronic
  2. Install new center console switch panel with the sunshade button
  3. Wire motor into the JBBF (Yellow to pin 3 and White to pin 30 on x14270)
  4. Add $415 to your vehicle order and default code JBBF
  5. Enjoy your new rear sunshade

I will update this post once I figure out if NETTODAT coding the servotronic values works.

NOTE: If you have a pre 2008 car, you will need to bring two wires from the obd2 port into x14271. Pin 6 on obd2 to pin 17 in x14271 and Pin 14 on obd2 to pin 33 in x14271.

You will then need to change the production date on your car by going into the VO page on NCSExpert, removing your #MM/YY and adding any date past 2008. For example #0310

P.S. There was a single post on a different forum on a JBBF 2 possibly having the provisions for servotronic. It has been (to my knowledge) untested so I will always and only recommend the two part numbers listed above.

@KClemente one question, did you add a fuse anywhere?

for the rest, parts compatibility list cross check from realoem and it matches jbbf used by m3
anything abbove 9187545 is jbbfe3 and they all have M markings on the casing from ebay pics
1609662179017.png

quick search on ebay for current available jbbfe in the list

for curiousity's sake.... its going to take a while to get to me...going through forwarder for cheaper international shipping
1609663644027.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Boony

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York

for the rest, parts compatibility list cross check from realoem and it matches jbbf used by m3
anything abbove 9187545 is jbbfe3 and they all have M markings on the casing from ebay pics
View attachment 47727

for curiousity's sake.... its going to take a while to get to me...going through forwarder for cheaper international shipping
View attachment 47729

Yeah scooped one for $60 as well. I'll update when I get it installed.

Id blur out your address in that eBay pic. You never know...

Boony

May 10, 2019
Ride
E90 n54 335i

View attachment 47727

View attachment 47729
Just bought the one in the states for $90.
I have been doing lots of random coding for lights and other options with NCSExpert over the years, but never done work with rewriting order etc. I am a quick learner and not scared of attempting this!

I was fine with the stiff (can live with it honestly) rack at first, but then I jumped in a buddy's brand new M...and the agility from a low effort steering wheel is definitely fun too! Would love to try this out.

Thanks for all your help guys @KClemente @AzNdevil

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Modifying the vo is easy and videos are online.

You do not need really need to modify the vo to be honest. The vo only comes into play when modules are reset to defaults (like sending a blank .man file) or reprogramming.

For example: I got my "m" variant jbbf in the mail yesterday! I coded $216 into my vo. This tells he car that it came from the factory with that option. I then sent blank .man files to the new jbbf. This resets It back to factory so that all the settings are for MY car anr there now instead of the ones for the x1 that the module came out of. When I read the jbbf after doing this the servotronic was still not set to active. You would've thought that having $216 in the vo would've factory reset valvetronic to being active... but it didn't. Probably because 135i never came with it. In order for the car to think it came with servotronic from the factory id have to do more than just add $216 to the vo. Id have to also go into my cas and dme and change my car engine setting to think its a 1m I guess... so modifying the vo is kind of a waste of time. I still had to open up the jbbf and activate servotronic. I then opened up the kombi and made sure all 3 mdrv settings were set to active. These WERE defaulted to active already so I guess changing the vo helped for something...

Started the car up and boom. Steering feels amazing at idle. Now to go for a drive and make sure its not too light at high speeds! But tbh, the steering was so damn heavy before I need to give it some seat time to get used to it. Hop in a brz or a civic si and you can turn the wheel with your pinky... it makes the car that much easier to drive without having to put physically strain to slaloming at 30mph lol. Makes the car feel heavy and fat instead of light and agile. Too much assist can feel "numb" though but I dont think that's how anyone has ever described a stock m3's steering...

Last edited:

Boony

May 10, 2019
Ride
E90 n54 335i
Just got the parts in; I got lucky and the junction box came with a snipped harness-end which will allow me to repurpose some metal prongs to securely attach the servotronic harness. I am also Pre-LCI 02/07 build so will need to switch around some wires and add one to go from from K-Line to DCAN.

Being the middle of winter I will most likely start this process when it gets warmer, however I am glad I at least secured the necessary parts.
2021-01-17 13.39.28.jpg
2021-01-17 13.41.30.jpg

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
big thanks to everyone especially to @KClemente for verifying the jbbf and dcan conversion stuff
i finally got my servotronics working as well but i will need to redo all my wiring again sometime in the future when i get the parts

for the pre 08 guys on kline, make sure you get some obd pins before you start, i ended up hacking a y adapter for obd and repinning it since i dont have any pins, swap pin 7 over to 14 on obd port, add a wire to pin 17 on the blue plug (x14271) and wire it to pin 6 on obd port

i found some pins that fit into x14273 but the wires i used were too thick so the pin + wire got stuck in the plug when i tried to push it in
i sat there for 2 hours and had to break the top part of pin 5 and 6 on the plug to get everything out.....

first impressions.... the steering is over assisted
good side, it is tunable through ncsexpert as mentioned many pages ago
just edit the comfort settings in ncsdummy and write it to jbbf

i will play with it again when i have time

rbryant

Lurker
Jul 26, 2018
Ride
2008 e90 335i, 2007 e70 4.8i
From what I found on the casing it is this "ixetic" branded pump. Unfortunately brake clean ate away at the pressure rating a bit but I am fairly certain it says "135" on the label. Yes I agree that when you google LF30 you come up with 120bar; however, that appears to all be 36 and e46 generation pumps that come up. It is likely the LF30 pump we have has a differently tuned high pressure outlet. Again, I am fairly certain the pump I have is 135 bar. I can see the 1 and the 5 a bit it's just the middle number missing.

I think someone in this thread stated that their car had a 120bar pump but idk if that was because they physically checked or they just based that off your post. It is possible different chassis and different year n5x have different racks and different power steering pumps to match, but, my 2011 135i for sure has a 135bar pump. So, it seems like my time to boost the assist up a bit more might be wasted. 135bar is already pretty damn high. It's no wonder M3's boil PS fluid on track. I will take a look at servotronic again to hopefully get that working right. I am beginning to question if the M3's steering is actually any lighter than where I am at now. I'd really like to find a way to boost the 0-30mph range!

One thing that we might need to consider is that the higher pressure LUK30 pump might be the same pressure as the 1M/Active steering pump but it might not be able to flow as much.

I was also comparing the active steering pump to the 1M pump yesterday and found that it seems the same as doublespaces posted.

If we remove the extra active steering piece then I think we would just need the fitting that the PS hose connects to. Does anyone know if the fitting from the LUK30 can fit the active steering pump with the active steering sensor removed? If it does, does it have the same orifice size as the 1M pump?

I am hoping that the combo of the active steering pump and a LUK30 fitting can be made to work. Or if need be a combo of an active steering pump and an M3 pump given that those are both more readily available at a reasonable cost than the 1M pump is.

I have a full M3 subframe drop that I am going to take the spindles and control arms from as a donor to my 335i (it looks like the M3 frame its self won't work due to different engine mounts). I am now investigating the rack swap. :)

I have a 10/2007 built 335i. I will check the JBBF. Strangely I also have the MSD80 DME. Do I also need to upgrade that? I see discussions on the DME in some forums and some references but does it have to be a DME81?

Thanks

Rich

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
One thing that we might need to consider is that the higher pressure LUK30 pump might be the same pressure as the 1M/Active steering pump but it might not be able to flow as much.

I was also comparing the active steering pump to the 1M pump yesterday and found that it seems the same as doublespaces posted.

If we remove the extra active steering piece then I think we would just need the fitting that the PS hose connects to. Does anyone know if the fitting from the LUK30 can fit the active steering pump with the active steering sensor removed? If it does, does it have the same orifice size as the 1M pump?

I am hoping that the combo of the active steering pump and a LUK30 fitting can be made to work. Or if need be a combo of an active steering pump and an M3 pump given that those are both more readily available at a reasonable cost than the 1M pump is.

I have a full M3 subframe drop that I am going to take the spindles and control arms from as a donor to my 335i (it looks like the M3 frame its self won't work due to different engine mounts). I am now investigating the rack swap. :)

I have a 10/2007 built 335i. I will check the JBBF. Strangely I also have the MSD80 DME. Do I also need to upgrade that? I see discussions on the DME in some forums and some references but does it have to be a DME81?

Thanks

Rich

There is no need for a pump swap at all with servotronic working.

Also, yes steering is very light to about 20mph. After 20-30mph I don't feel too much difference. I don't think it's too light at all though. You'll get used to it being lighter at lower speeds... just like you got used to it being heavy at low speeds and dealt with it. With servo it's still not as light as some other cars I have driven. It's nice not having to labor the wheel back and fourth in a tight slalom! Makes the car feel lighter and more agile!

rbryant

Lurker
Jul 26, 2018
Ride
2008 e90 335i, 2007 e70 4.8i
What size is the repair wire going into the JBBF?

I looked for a part number or mention of the size but I didn't see it.

I see wires for .75mm, .5mm, and 1mm all available from parts suppliers.

Thanks,

Rich