2018 VTT New Product Release Thread

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
... around 520hp on our crap 93 unleaded ... We are going to start flex fuel tuning this soon to see how far we can push these here using the double barrel only.
You have larger fuel lines and LPFP upgraded? If you have decent ethanol, I don't see how you don't get a lot more juice out of it, or why the double barrel is even in the sentence - from what I've heard that's not going to be your limiting factor.

Unfortunately my car is down still - Barry and I will work on it next week when I'm back in town. But I'm hoping to be up north of where you are with Garretts, ethanol, and single barrel (with all the usual other updates).

Curious to hear where you end up, and super glad to heard the GC 2.0's are taking a pounding.

Filippo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Im not really interested in running e85 because where we normally go for our drives its not available, so thats where flex fuel will come into play and the double barrel will be needed.

I have all the supporting mods that are necessary to run these.

Just trying to find time to do all this while juggling the day to day stuff

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
To your point, if your fuel is crap, doesn't matter what gets done. I know that sucks. My buddy @Asbjorn in China fights the same issue. Flex fuel is great - just works. I guess I'm wondering when you are at E85 if you won't see a significant improvement, especially given the poor regular gas. That assumes your E85 is decent of course. Anyway looking forward to it.

Filippo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
E85 is not bad and it definitely makes power and it has its pro's and con's which I wont get into in this thread.

E85 we will see a huge lift in power but where we end up is going to be the big question as no one has run these here before but if 93 is anything to go by, these will set some new records in no time

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
To your point, if your fuel is crap, doesn't matter what gets done. I know that sucks. My buddy @Asbjorn in China fights the same issue. Flex fuel is great - just works. I guess I'm wondering when you are at E85 if you won't see a significant improvement, especially given the poor regular gas. That assumes your E85 is decent of course. Anyway looking forward to it.

Filippo

Can confirm... 19-20psi is max with Chinese RON 98 and GC lites on my car. If you live in China and want more, your only option is to add water/meth injection or buy race fuel from a distributor. Most people here go for the first option... I personally think 19psi is more than enough though. :grinning:

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
On the catch cans- the top is in, correct? I’ve seen product pictures with a VTA filter on the top and the side. But the top ports have the metal knock down material in them, so I figure that is the in. Can you unscrew the cans? I tried with my hands and they don’t budge.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I know the gc 2.0 are supposed be great but what I need to know is if I'm at 4k rpm and i stab it would the lites have better response or once spooled they are same.
Second is would the full size be easier on rods and motor ?
Third would a stage 3 setup with the smaller turbos have less lag and better spool or stage 3 only worth high hp build?
Last what's diff between the vtx and the vtr stage 3 kits ?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
You have larger fuel lines and LPFP upgraded? If you have decent ethanol, I don't see how you don't get a lot more juice out of it, or why the double barrel is even in the sentence - from what I've heard that's not going to be your limiting factor.

Filippo

I don't follow here. The HPFP is definitely the limiting factor on ethanol, so the double barrel is the solution instead of PI. What else could be the limiting factor in this equation?

With the double barrel, I would expect high 600s maxed out with good ethanol. You'd be lucky to get 600whp from only a LPFP and it would definitely have to be a bucketless, and the HPFP would be on the ragged edge.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I don't follow here. The HPFP is definitely the limiting factor on ethanol, so the double barrel is the solution instead of PI. What else could be the limiting factor in this equation?

With the double barrel, I would expect high 600s maxed out with good ethanol. You'd be lucky to get 600whp from only a LPFP and it would definitely have to be a bucketless, and the HPFP would be on the ragged edge.
My point was that double barrel was not the limiting factor if LPFP and lines were not upgraded first. He followed up (next post) and said all that was done. Honestly I went back and read my response and have no idea what I was thinking when I posted it ... some days go like that I guess! :mask::tonguewink:

Filippo

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
The External PCV fitting that goes on tb. Does that go to the high or low side?
Think about that for a moment. Not trying to be a dick, but to get you to solve your own problem. The tb port is going to be on the intake manifold side of the butterfly, and not in any sort of turbo inlet.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
After finding some more restrictions in our aussie cars the gc's are really begining to shine.

A low comp of 9.5 to 1 with a stock head, stock cams and stock mids it made 419rwk at 6000rpm which is the highest we seen on my motor ever on dyno dynamic at such low rpm.

The double barrel is just laughing and delivering all the necessary fuel no problem.

We still have a few more restrictions to get rid of but 440rwk + should not be an issue.

Just waiting on some parts to come in.

20181010_154515.jpg

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Ok ... on the VTT hose barb outlet (for GC / GC Lite), can anyone tell me the size of the silicone hoses? There should be two sizes - a matching pair that connect to the turbo outlet (OD x length) and a single in between coupler (OX x length).

Thanks!

Filippo

Reactions: buster84

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Ok ... on the VTT hose barb outlet (for GC / GC Lite), can anyone tell me the size of the silicone hoses? There should be two sizes - a matching pair that connect to the turbo outlet (OD x length) and a single in between coupler (OX x length).

Thanks!

Filippo

1.75" x 1.6" and 1.75"x3

Also not sure if you are looking for one but I have a used 135 (z4 as well I believe) style aluminum outlet for sale. I bought it and assumed it was for a 335.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
1.75" is the OD? What's ID of that hose? (would be same as the turbo housing outlet OD) Just double checking. Thanks!

(and I PM'd on the purchase - already have the outlet covered ... so anyone else with a 135 or Z4 have at it!)

Filippo