Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
3.15 is pretty steep considering 7th is 1:1. I can only imagine a large turbo won't like it much. Guess you can super size the tire height. :)

2.81 is nice, but at times I wish it were a 2.56. The 3.08 I tried was fun for drifting. Even an open diff locks when you apply lots of power in a straight line.

Reactions: Begood69

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
3.15 is pretty steep considering 7th is 1:1. I can only imagine a large turbo won't like it much. Guess you can super size the tire height. :)

2.81 is nice, but at times I wish it were a 2.56. The 3.08 I tried was fun for drifting. Even an open diff locks when you apply lots of power in a straight line.
Here is what my 76mm turbo do with the 3.08.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200418-152442_JB4 Mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20200418-152442_JB4 Mobile.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 22

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT GTX1000
So I've got a bunch of stuff done that most who are interested probably have seen in my build thread for my e82 135i. (I'm still gonna get to the coding part 😊 and I'm currently getting tuned by Wedge).
Can anyone help me out with getting my launch control working? Can anyone give me known working part nubers, particularly for the 135i? I'm wondering if my build date is too early for the SZL to work? (05/2010) So a pre LCI 135i except N55 DCT.
I'm confident that I understand how to engage it, but it just isn't working.
I'm wondering if my DSC could be an issue? I notice now when I do a 1-click to go into DTC it doesn't show anything on my CIC or on the Kombi screen. It lights up the MDM light but that's it. Any ideas, does anyone else'sscreen show their DTC mode? I swear it used to show both on my Kombi and CIC.
Yeah I know the LC is with DSC fully off, im just spit balling here that it may not be cooperating.
Thanks fellas, and if there are any, ladies

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I’m fairly confident that stability management and traction control status should be showing on the KOMBI and CIC.
this could be your issue

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
I’m fairly confident that stability management and traction control status should be showing on the KOMBI and CIC.
this could be your issue
That's what I was thinking. It does show up when I turn it all the way off via long press. I'm not sure of anything I did in process that could have changed it so I'm hoping someone can chime in who's done it to compare. Maybe a i need a DSC reflash/reset? Unfortunately I'm not sure I have anything to tell me what my stock DSC was in the event that I accidentally changed it. Although I did have an issue with it once needing to be reset after I changed from TPMS to FTM.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Unlike n54 which use a single press on DSC for launch the M3s need DSC completely off. Have you tried long press on the DSC button

edit sorry read again and I see you have

Reactions: azshantris

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
2011 135i here - once press turns on MDM light on the kombi and a DTC warning/message in the notification of the cluster as well (non I drive). Long press to turn all the way off. Move to manual shift mode. Shift speed mode to max. Press shifter forward (no brake) wait 1-3 seconds for checkered flag. Foot to the floor and use cruise to adjust Rev point.

I'm pretty sure that's right. I use it for autocross launches all the time, so it's muscle memory now. I remember something about having to be at operating temp first.

Touching the brake pedal disengages it IIRC.

If you are doing all that and it still doesn't engage, I'm trying to remember if I had to do anything configuration wise to get mine working. Don't think so. I recall being surprised it worked without any effort.

Reactions: azshantris

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
2011 135i here - once press turns on MDM light on the kombi and a DTC warning/message in the notification of the cluster as well (non I drive). Long press to turn all the way off. Move to manual shift mode. Shift speed mode to max. Press shifter forward (no brake) wait 1-3 seconds for checkered flag. Foot to the floor and use cruise to adjust Rev point.

I'm pretty sure that's right. I use it for autocross launches all the time, so it's muscle memory now. I remember something about having to be at operating temp first.

Touching the brake pedal disengages it IIRC.

If you are doing all that and it still doesn't engage, I'm trying to remember if I had to do anything configuration wise to get mine working. Don't think so. I recall being surprised it worked without any effort.
Dang I'm jealous. I recall in previous posts that yours worked pretty effortlessly. I've tried both with foot on brake and off with no luck. I'll probably try it a few more times before I change anything just to really be sure I'm not just being dumb.

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
And

As you can see I get just the MDM light on a click, but I get the DSC inactive and burnout picture on a hold. What the heck.
Anybody got which version their DSC flash is?

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Interesting the different icon. I believe I default coded my Kombi with the VO saying it was a 135i. When I default coded with any 3 series in the VO, my fuel gauge was way out of wack. But I'm going off memory here.

Here is how it works on mine. Btw, I discovered that launch control won't work from a cold start... no matter how warm the engine gets. Had me worried I somehow screwed it up. Engine off and back on and then the magic of LC returned. I never figured out how to properly use the cruise stalk to change RPM levels more than one thousand at a time.

DTC display

Launch control working

Me trying to adjust RPM of LC

Last edited:
Reactions: aus335iguy

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Interesting the different icon. I believe I default coded my Kombi with the VO saying it was a 135i. When I default coded with any 3 series in the VO, my fuel gauge was way out of wack. But I'm going off memory here.

Here is how it works on mine. Btw, I discovered that launch control won't work from a cold start... no matter how warm the engine gets. Had me worried I somehow screwed it up. Engine off and back on and then the magic of LC returned. I never figured out how to properly use the cruise stalk to change RPM levels more than one thousand at a time.

okay... 4k video was not a good choice...
Videos coming soon.
I hadn't thought about the cold start being a possible issue, I'll have to try that. I look forward to seeing what your display shows and then maybe I'll try recoding my kombi or my dsc or something.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
I hadn't thought about the cold start being a possible issue, I'll have to try that. I look forward to seeing what your display shows and then maybe I'll try recoding my kombi or my dsc or something.
Embedded videos above. Someone can school me on proper LC rpm adjustment. I just use 3500. :)

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Embedded videos above. Someone can school me on proper LC rpm adjustment. I just use 3500. :)
Dang that's how my display showed my DTC and DSC before I did all the software changes. I must have done part of it wrong. I'll have to see if I can't figure out how to get it back. I'm really leaning towards the DSC module. Maybe my VO led it to code to 3 series or something? I'm a little lost but I'd sure like to figure it out.
Thanks for taking the time to show that, I really appreciate it!

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
That DTC icon of a car doing a burnout was on earlier versions of DSCs I can’t remember where I read that. Some people were upset because that was a looser European version and in the states they updated it at dealer level and people were complaining. I don’t think it’s incorrect though. For what it’s worth

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
That DTC icon of a car doing a burnout was on earlier versions of DSCs I can’t remember where I read that. Some people were upset because that was a looser European version and in the states they updated it at dealer level and people were complaining. I don’t think it’s incorrect though. For what it’s worth
Yeah I'm thinking that part may be ok, I'm more concerned about I get no confirmation of DTC being on.
I'm actually a little jealous of my girlfriends 2012 328i coupe because they actually changed the light in the cluster to the little burnout picture instead of DTC lol