Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Filled water jacket was an extreme nitrous build , was dual stage wet but car couldnt be driven around my point was just cause reliable doesnt mean dd capable that why i was asking Andy's opinion on how far could go before serious compromise.
Ah I gotcha, I misunderstood you so that's my bad. One thing to factor in is a lot of people have different opinions on what DD-able is - to some running the exhaust flap open is too much "drone" to daily, to some NVH from stiffer mounts or bushings is too much, to some having to change spark plugs every 3k miles is just fine. I know you're primarily talking about the engine running smoothly in day-to-day traffic when you mean driveable, but someone like me who threw a 4.11 FDR and 3" straight pipes after longtube headers on an LS3 and replaced the suspension bushings with stiffer poly... I wouldn't particularly mind some minor gremlins if it meant I got to smoke out a block with rubber on my way home from the grocery store if I had street tires on.

Different strokes for different folks and overall I agree 1-1200whp probably wouldn't be daily-able for most people. But some of us are disinclined to comfort and ease :p

Reactions: RSTECH

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I would define "daily driveable" as - give it to your co-worker that knows nothing about cars for a week and not worry about it blowing up or breaking down while they have it.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Hmm, I don't know that I'd consider any modified sports car I've owned as daily driveable by those standards lol

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
I would define "daily driveable" as - give it to your co-worker that knows nothing about cars for a week and not worry about it blowing up or breaking down while they have it.
Well, the first problem is trusting a co-worker to borrow your car. Thats not gonna happen lol. Second...you cant mention not break down and n54 in the same sentence either, youve got a better chance of winning the lottery. I thought my car was great and reliable as is, what did it do while i was otr, and let a buddy borrow it? Besides beating a c6, it ate a serp belt....so no reliable doesnt fit n54 lol.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Well, the first problem is trusting a co-worker to borrow your car. Thats not gonna happen lol. Second...you cant mention not break down and n54 in the same sentence either, youve got a better chance of winning the lottery. I thought my car was great and reliable as is, what did it do while i was otr, and let a buddy borrow it? Besides beating a c6, it ate a serp belt....so no reliable doesnt fit n54 lol.
Mine has been plenty reliable, the only complete failure I've suffered was the starter and I knew it was coming, just didn't replace it right away because it was the winter and I didn't have a garage. The N54 is no different than any other BMW with reliability at this point in its life imo - if you do preventative maintenance with the right parts, it'll drive forever.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Mine has been plenty reliable, the only complete failure I've suffered was the starter and I knew it was coming, just didn't replace it right away because it was the winter and I didn't have a garage. The N54 is no different than any other BMW with reliability at this point in its life imo - if you do preventative maintenance with the right parts, it'll drive forever.
Ive only had a n52 e90 in the past, it was good other than the waterpump. This is my first real go at a german car, not terrible compared to a built foxbody lol, so i cant speak on any other BMWs.
My cars pretty up to date on maintenance, even prev owner tracked maintenance well, i guess it is just my luck, and i drive my cars hard. Shit breaks when you do so. Just sucks during down time cause its fun to drive. I'd rather do a starter in the winter than axles or a clutch....

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Agree im going to kick myself but ive always been able to drive even when my charge pipe blew. My sister with her 06 e46 however has had her belt go twice both times got a Christmas tree and overheated, but if it weren't for power steering loss she prob could have made short trip home and mind you she is approaching 300k. Anyway you guys hit the nail I didn't want an answer to this rod can handle 2000 hp I know their isn't an exact one either but most guys that drive monsters know it when they went to far. My kenne belle cobra was a beast and if I didn't pop a cylinder I'd prob still have it that was 800 dd safe. Meanwhile my 09 Jetta was a chore to drive and I wouldn't wish that 450hp going downhill on my worst enemy. That's an example of a car you should go k04 and no further cause I ended up with metal bits shooting out of my exhaust at only 8k miles.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I don't think so. I know both Jake spence and veer90 are running JB4s. I think veer even said it was because of issues with boost control on MHD alone.
Are their cars considered high hp compared to others out there???

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
From what I've seen people go flash only after jb4 and love it then go single or high boost on twins and go back to jb4 prob just cause pi or few go stand alone but most jb4 with back end

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Well if a record sits at 900whp as a n54 high or 100 percentile.A low of 300whp.I would say 80% or 720whp of that 900 would be high. With 500-600whp being a going middle avg. and 300-450 as a low power avg. In regards solely to this engine, and its respective limitations

• Agree
Reactions: boostE92d

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I don't think so. I know both Jake spence and veer90 are running JB4s. I think veer even said it was because of issues with boost control on MHD alone.

Issues with boost control on MHD alone for single turbo. That's an important distinction. My car ran great flash only on twins. There's no reason to run JB4 for twins with oem vacuum actuated wastegates.

For single turbo you need some kind of boost controller to talk to the MAC solenoid, whether it's an EBC, a boostbox, or a JB4. EBC isn't integrated into the flash at all and boostbox is unreliable so I picked the option that sucked the least.

I have JB4 setup for boost control and O2 sensor pressure correction only, the flash is doing the majority of the work.