N54 Precision Raceworks Ignition Group Buy! - DBV2

luplup

Lurker
Dec 16, 2017
Ride
E82 N54
Thanks for your informative comments. Two questions:
1. Did the two replacement boots solve your problems?
2. Can you suggest how to best apply the dielectric grease?

The replacement boots did solve my intermittent misfires and rough cold starts. As far as applying the dielectric grease, just put on some disposable rubber gloves and generously apply to the portion of the spark plug the boot will come in contact with. You can also apply some to the inside of the boot.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Thanks. I assume one should avoid getting dielectric grease on the metal spark plug terminal or on the metal wire connector? In other words, keep the dielectric grease between the white spark plug insulator and the rubber boot.

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
how the hell are you supposed to get dielectric grease on just the ceramic insulator when the plugs are installed six inches down a tube inside the head?

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
how the hell are you supposed to get dielectric grease on just the ceramic insulator when the plugs are installed six inches down a tube inside the head?
Use a q-tip and apply it around the inside of the boot and spread it around.

Reactions: BrazyN54

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So are the new plug wires going to be $40 when they come out? Kinda ticked about the bait and switch on the new plug wires.

I've never understood this mentality. It's not bait and switch.

You saw a product, liked it and decided to buy it. It works well and all is good.

The manufacturer (at a later time) comes out with an upgraded offering. That upgraded offering doesn't make your original product perform any less. And it doesn't change that when you made the decision it was still a good offering for you. If you don't want the upgrade, just imagine it's not out there. If you do, then pay for the new feature that has you drooling.

ETA: If you take the inverse argument, and apply reductio ad absurdum, then do you expect no manufacturer to ever improve their product offering? Or do you expect Ford to give you a 2019 F150 because your 2007 is now out of date?

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
Right. Except you completely missed the point. This is about a group buy that I paid into that said it would include the new and revised boots. In fact, it still says that in the first post. Now it’s shipping with the original unless you want to wait another 3+ months.

I've never understood this mentality. It's not bait and switch.

You saw a product, liked it and decided to buy it. It works well and all is good.

The manufacturer (at a later time) comes out with an upgraded offering. That upgraded offering doesn't make your original product perform any less. And it doesn't change that when you made the decision it was still a good offering for you. If you don't want the upgrade, just imagine it's not out there. If you do, then pay for the new feature that has you drooling.

ETA: If you take the inverse argument, and apply reductio ad absurdum, then do you expect no manufacturer to ever improve their product offering? Or do you expect Ford to give you a 2019 F150 because your 2007 is now out of date?

PRECISION RACEWORKS

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Nov 11, 2016
HOUSTON TX
www.precisionraceworks.com
Right. Except you completely missed the point. This is about a group buy that I paid into that said it would include the new and revised boots. In fact, it still says that in the first post. Now it’s shipping with the original unless you want to wait another 3+ months.

We would like to apologize for this, this was information of things to come down the pipe we were sending to our distributors. DBV2 is one of our distributors and for some reason shared the information in this thread to which we quickly notified them that these wires will not be available for 60-90 days. Though this was not marketing we sent out to customers or intended to be public knowledge we are more than happy to work with people and offer a discount on a new set of plug wires for 30 days after their release. The other option for those that would want to wait we can hold the order from shipping and send with new wires when they come in. The group buy DBV2 put together of our product will be drop shipped directly from us to the customers so this is a easy solution for us to offer as well.

• Funny
Reactions: buster84

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
We would like to apologize for this, this was information of things to come down the pipe we were sending to our distributors. DBV2 is one of our distributors and for some reason shared the information in this thread to which we quickly notified them that these wires will not be available for 60-90 days. Though this was not marketing we sent out to customers or intended to be public knowledge we are more than happy to work with people and offer a discount on a new set of plug wires for 30 days after their release. The other option for those that would want to wait we can hold the order from shipping and send with new wires when they come in. The group buy DBV2 put together of our product will be drop shipped directly from us to the customers so this is a easy solution for us to offer as well.
I appreciate that and can understand issues come up. Look, it's not the end of the world at all- I also was essentially looking forward to the new connectors and the mention of new boots was a pleasant surprise. I probably would have bought in even if that wasn't part of the release. But it still was part of the sales pitch... Any way, I'm looking forward to getting the PR coils!

John@DBV2

Sergeant
Jan 23, 2017
N55 kits ship today! PM’ing customers tracking information. More info to come soon.

Again guys I’ve gone over the boot and wire situation, I jumped the gun thinking they were ready. In no way, shape or form did I intentionally mislead anyone. I’ve communicated it pretty clearly that if your upset and would like a refund I am very happy to accommodate you in any way you see fit :)

The new boots and wires do not add performance. They function identically in terms of performance. Your not missing out on something by not waiting for them.

• Funny
Reactions: buster84 and DCook

BrazyN54

Private
Jun 1, 2018
Ride
07 335i
N55 kits ship today! PM’ing customers tracking information. More info to come soon.

Again guys I’ve gone over the boot and wire situation, I jumped the gun thinking they were ready. In no way, shape or form did I intentionally mislead anyone. I’ve communicated it pretty clearly that if your upset and would like a refund I am very happy to accommodate you in any way you see fit :)

The new boots and wires do not add performance. They function identically in terms of performance. Your not missing out on something by not waiting for them.

Sooo when are the n54 kits getting shipped? 8 days no tracking info or order status updates. I know this isn’t any of John’s doings. I was under the impressing of my kit arriving at my door step sometime this week

Reactions: buster84

John@DBV2

Sergeant
Jan 23, 2017
We’re working on it, I’ll try to update things ASAP. N55 kits work on N54 cars by the way so if you really need it ASAP you can run one. Just can’t run stock air box or any intake that installs like one.

If your running a top mount I think it’s actually ideal.

CaStylin

Lurker
Mar 31, 2018
Ride
'10 535i, '09 X5 4.8l, '07 525
So are the new plug wires going to be $40 when they come out? Kinda ticked about the bait and switch on the new plug wires.

Wait... all this turmoil over $40 bucks?

@John@DBV2 - I know I initially said I wanted to wait for the new boots but if they are only $40 I'll just buy them when they come more widely available. Is the N55 kit still plug and play for the N54? if so switch me to the intake side (N55) kit, if not please send me the N54 kit. I'm going to do a turbo swap next weekend so it would be ideal to install these while everything is apart

@PRECISION RACEWORKS - If you're in Houston, can I come by and pick this up? trying to cut out the shipping time