N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

JDKruger4

Private
Aug 10, 2017
Ride
335i LCI
I thought it would never happen! JK, congrats on the pending launch of your product.

I likely plan on purchasing. My car has stock fueling, would I be able to run e mixes higher than ~30% with this without a stage 2 LPFP?(ie will it limit boost and other parameters) i know I'd be limiting my power but I have some other reasons for doing this. I'll go with a LPFP if I need to.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
@jyamona I’m super looking forward to buying or (preferably) winning the MOTIV FlexFuel Sensor, but it won’t do me any good until the MHD FlexFuel software/app module is also available. Can you comment on Martial’s launch date? Hopefully same as yours!

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
@jyamona I’m super looking forward to buying or (preferably) winning the MOTIV FlexFuel module, but it won’t do me any good until the MHD FlexFuel module is also available. Can you comment on Martial’s launch date? Hopefully same as yours!

Isn't that one and the same? I thought it was a Motiv/MHD collaboration basically. My understanding is you'll need a Continental Flex fuel sensor and the Flex fuel module, and then a 93 and an ethanol tune.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’m thinking MHD FlexFuel software module like the MHD MBoost software module. I edited my comment above.

Edited again. I meant Motive FlexFuel Sensor.
(It’s been a long day.)

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I think they are making the "flex fuel module" as a hardware part at least in part to provide some sort of copy protection. Granted, it may be fully within the DME code, but it would seem like it would be easily compromised. Having either a checksum or some sort of hardware "dongle" like software vendors did back in the 80s may be the way its ensured its paid for. We likely won't know the full methodology, as there is also some security by obscurity there.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think they are making the "flex fuel module" as a hardware part at least in part to provide some sort of copy protection. Granted, it may be fully within the DME code, but it would seem like it would be easily compromised. Having either a checksum or some sort of hardware "dongle" like software vendors did back in the 80s may be the way its ensured its paid for. We likely won't know the full methodology, as there is also some security by obscurity there.

There is a Flex Fuel Box which is an ECA from what I understand and a Flex Fuel module addon within MHD. The reason this is taking so long is because he has added a one-time unicorn tears optical refraction hash into the encryption algorithm. And naturally, those take some time to collect.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I thought it would never happen! JK, congrats on the pending launch of your product.

I likely plan on purchasing. My car has stock fueling, would I be able to run e mixes higher than ~30% with this without a stage 2 LPFP?(ie will it limit boost and other parameters) i know I'd be limiting my power but I have some other reasons for doing this. I'll go with a LPFP if I need to.

You'll be able to run higher mixes, yes. However, the higher mix you go, you will be quickly reducing the boost you can run. I am not sure how low the boost will need to be and how lean an AFR, that will need to be determined by your tuner.

JDKruger4

Private
Aug 10, 2017
Ride
335i LCI
You'll be able to run higher mixes, yes. However, the higher mix you go, you will be quickly reducing the boost you can run. I am not sure how low the boost will need to be and how lean an AFR, that will need to be determined by your tuner.
Thanks for the response, that's the answer I expected. Ultimately, I'm just looking to run OTS maps so I'll likely stick with lower e mixes until I get a stg2 LPFP.

Props on the reasonable price as well, I had a price in mind that I was willing to pay and you came in under that price (assuming the MHD module is priced in line with other MHD modules). I see lots of people on this platform complaining about how cheap people have become, but some of us have a family to support and just work on our 10 year old cars as a hobby. I'll be placing an order as soon as its up.

Reactions: doublespaces

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
The ethanol sensor + engine bay line upgrade on the MOTIV website seems a little pricey, no?
https://www.motivmotorsport.com/products/ethanol-content-sensor?variant=5854683398173
D9B58F6A-CE6D-47FC-A375-020601F31C56.png

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yeah ... default value. I ordered my ECA along with the rest of the fuel line, bucket LPFP upgrade from another place. I'm told it is supposed to work with this. My car starts coming apart next week, with these upgrades included.

Filippo