N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Are the XDFs and stuff posted yet? Need to look in to this new integration to see if it makes sense to add a JB4 BEF option for it.

Actually Terry I think that with a BEF using a physical sensor and the JB4 using a virtual sensor then having the JB4 compare the two values you would be able to offer the best flex fuel offering anywhere. The physical sensor has problems dealing with water contamination and the virtual sensor would get skewed by leaky injectors or dying o2 sensors. Having them lean on each other would be brilliant.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
I was struggling to think how you could run virtual and real at once since virtual relies on fuel trims that are neutralised by a working real ethanol content sensor. I would not want a virtual sensor contributing to confusion, but simply a diagnosis based on errant fuel trims.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I was struggling to think how you could run virtual and real at once since virtual relies on fuel trims that are neutralised by a working real ethanol content sensor. I would not want a virtual sensor contributing to confusion, but simply a diagnosis based on errant fuel trims.

Think of this example: running an e50 mix.

You get some water contamination. Your physical sensor will be pegged at e99, but the virtual sensor would still be calculating fuel burn correctly so it would see e50. The mismatch should be flagged and the driver would know he has tainted fuel.

Example 2: running an e50 mix.

Now you have a leaky injector or 2. The O2 sensor is going to be seeing an artificially high O2 reading for the calculated fuel used (because the leaky injector). So your Virtual sensor will be showing a higher e content than your physical sensor. The mismatch should be flagged and the driver would know he has a leaking injector.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
In the first example, the virtual sensor would not be calculating correctly unless you disabled the effect of the real sensor.

Both examples would be highlighted by errant fuel trims.

The interaction between the two precludes simultaneous use I still think.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
@JDKruger4 , did you return your kit before the return policy expired or did motiv say if they would extend it? I think I'm past the return window too, but they also list a 20% restocking fee, which I would hope would be waived in light of the delay, and it's current uselessness. I know Jyamona said it was a "tweaked" eca and I didn't see anything published on its output to connect to a display, so without MHD I don't see how I can use it. I'm building a 20 dollar arduino eca (including the display! ) so I'll know the e content which is what I really cared about. There was nothing listed about a warranty on the eca either so it will be interesting to see how that is handled since we are all sitting on hardware for over a month that hasn't (nor can it be) been used.

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Gonna hold you to that since you now have given a timeline other than "soon" .

On a related note, is there (or will there be) a published output of the eca for voltage to ethanol percentage?

• Agree
Reactions: veer90

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Im in for one! Call me a skeptic, disillusioned, or a pessimist, but I wouldn't put money on a bet for its release date right now.

• Funny
Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Im in for one! Call me a skeptic, disillusioned, or a pessimist, but I wouldn't put money on a bet for its release date right now.
dammit. I guess I have to get these decals designed this weekend, so they're available for us in a few weeks lol ...

Filippo

JDKruger4

Private
Aug 10, 2017
Ride
335i LCI
@JDKruger4 , did you return your kit before the return policy expired or did motiv say if they would extend it? I think I'm past the return window too, but they also list a 20% restocking fee, which I would hope would be waived in light of the delay, and it's current uselessness. I know Jyamona said it was a "tweaked" eca and I didn't see anything published on its output to connect to a display, so without MHD I don't see how I can use it. I'm building a 20 dollar arduino eca (including the display! ) so I'll know the e content which is what I really cared about. There was nothing listed about a warranty on the eca either so it will be interesting to see how that is handled since we are all sitting on hardware for over a month that hasn't (nor can it be) been used.
Yes, I sent mine for return last week. The 20% restocking fee must be new, I don't remember reading that for unopened products, and would be surprised to be charged that. I have screenshots of it all though I'll have to review... I hope Motiv would do the right thing and refund the purchase price for the obvious reasons. In the end it has been over two months since I ordered a product that is still not able to perform it's advertised function, I have not opened it and I just want my money back.

Last edited:

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I think warranty period is 1yr, but I'm not in charge of that. I just did the board layout and firmware.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I heard that MHD has been sent the actual changes, so its a matter of getting them implemented and the new update over to Google Play, as well as likely some sort of minor testing. All just speculation of course.

JDKruger4

Private
Aug 10, 2017
Ride
335i LCI
Update: I returned my FF kit and received a refund from Motiv and have no outstanding issues. I hope to see the software side of this released and succeed, though I have concerns that much life Half Life 3 the expectations may be impossible to live up to :)

baturbo

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
Melbourne
Ride
2006 E92 335i RHD
So I ordered the hardware within first hour of release. Happy to wait for software. Rather right than rushed.

The problem I have is that I can not find a dummies guide for installing the MOTIV Ethanol Content Sensor + Engine Bay Short Line Kit. If you cant point me to one, I would appreciate it.

I did look, but no luck.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So I ordered the hardware within first hour of release. Happy to wait for software. Rather right than rushed.

The problem I have is that I can not find a dummies guide for installing the MOTIV Ethanol Content Sensor + Engine Bay Short Line Kit. If you cant point me to one, I would appreciate it.

I did look, but no luck.

The wiring guide is available on their site as well as here:
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/motiv-flex-fuel-installation-guide.3297/

If that doesn't suit you, I'm afraid you're on your own as that is all we have.

The short line kit does not need any explanation, its just one hose, it is installed in the same area.