N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Martial and I are finalizing the last piece of the puzzle before release, which is OTS map automation for FF. I imagine those who choose to run an OTS map with this will have a beta / refinement period following release. Those who self tune or have a good tuner obviously will not need this.

• Angry
Reactions: Twinz and mang.vang

blisstik

Corporal
Mar 27, 2018
Ride
E92 MOTIV750 (Sold)
While I understand the need for OTS map automation, I think you guys should think of a staggered approach instead of all-in-one. It sounds like you guys were ready to go but then thought of "what if we add this cool feature" then it turns into cascading delays.

I propose you guys release an update so all those who already have the hardware and ready to wire it up can get their custom tunes going. Most of us are going to be in that boat.

Afterwhich, you can implement the OTS map automation. This way you can put out all the fires in THIS thread. Motiv is getting blamed even though they have fulfilled their end of the deal.

Otherwise, I can see this being a July or after release after all the testing.

Let me just say what most are thinking here: nobody gives a sh#t about OTS maps

Martial and I are finalizing the last piece of the puzzle before release, which is OTS map automation for FF. I imagine those who choose to run an OTS map with this will have a beta / refinement period following release. Those who self tune or have a good tuner obviously will not need this.

• Agree
Reactions: veer90

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Self tune / pro-tune users will not need to wait until the end of the beta period. That would only apply to users of the OTS maps.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Well it's been another week since my rant complaining of lack of communication and transparency. We have received a PDF of hardware installation instructions that was very well done. Inexplicably, there is still no communication on the time frame for the MHD component (please correct me if I'm wrong). My FF kit is still unopened, as I wanted to see the entire system prior to installing. By Motiv's policy on their website I have 2 days left in my return window. Will Motiv be extending this return window for the Flex Fuel kit? Seems like the right thing to do given the circumstances.

I just installed my hardware and left all wiring unconnected. The hardware is visibly an upgrade from the stock so it was good to do so. However, be advised, there are caveats of installation regarding small annoying issues.

1. fuel connector to left side fuel lid gets impeded by the ring lid and the lid must be rotated slightly so the fuel connector clears the catch nubs of the ring lid. If you do not rotate the nubs on the lid out of the way, you will not be able to install the fuel line connector to the fuel lid receptacle of the car.

2. AN6 connectors are a pain to install without removing the hpfp hard line. You cannot tighten the connectors properly unless you free the hpfp line to have room to maneuver your wrenches. I used an adjustable wrench to tighten the connectors after loosening the hpfp hard line away from the car structure.

3. Intake valve, charge pipe, air intake box and throttle body all need to be removed to access hpfp hard line connector.

hpfp line.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman

mang.vang

Private
Sep 28, 2017
Ride
09 e90
Self tune / pro-tune users will not need to wait until the end of the beta period. That would only apply to users of the OTS maps.

How does one become a beta tester for ff? I definitely do not want to wait for beta testing to be over.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Thanks for the update, @jyamona. I'm sure all of us are holding our breath. If a non-OTS version initially came out, I think this would help. Thanks again for all the hard work.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: langsbr

JDKruger4

Private
Aug 10, 2017
Ride
335i LCI
Anyone want to buy my kit for any reason before I process a return? Un-opened Flex Fuel kit and Sensor + engine bay short line upgrade. PM me. I'll probly be selling by car in the fall due to expanding family. Was really excited to run this at least for the summer it's looking like I wouldn't have much time to run it.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So...how is this stuff going to work?

You get an e85 custom tune from a tuner, after you select the MHD option for e85 sensor? And the tuner only has to tune for e85 and that's it? When you put in regular gasoline the ECU will adjust automatically according to the ratio that the sensor reads?

Or do we get both an e85 tune as well as a normal gasoline tune and leave it in the MHD custom folder?

I am not really clear on this.

Ilkka

Private
Sep 7, 2017
Ride
N54 335i e92
How long are the MHD beta periods typically? Looking forward to order the FF hardware and cables for MHD when there is more visibility to the availability of the OTS FF software.

MattGu40

Private
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335xi FBO

You get an e85 custom tune from a tuner, after you select the MHD option for e85 sensor? And the tuner only has to tune for e85 and that's it? When you put in regular gasoline the ECU will adjust automatically according to the ratio that the sensor reads?

Or do we get both an e85 tune as well as a normal gasoline tune and leave it in the MHD custom folder?

i would love some info on this aswell a bit confused atm

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

i would love some info on this aswell a bit confused atm

I'd recommend you guys check out the 'Threadmarks' which are next to the page numbers of this thread. There are several posts pinned there from this thread which are probably related to your questions.

MattGu40

Private
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335xi FBO
thanks for making me discover this wonderful feature, but still cant find the awnser i am looking for.

After discussion with my tuner he stated that 2 complete new tunes will be required to make this work.. (also adding METH PI)
one for pump and one for e85mix so twice the work.

just want to confirm what are our options for custom tunes start all over again?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’ve created my own custom tunes for 93 octane and E60. I’m hoping these are all I need.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So while we are waiting with baited breath... So ... two tunes. 93 octane and .... full E85? If one was tuning on the dyno, how does this work? Drain the tank of 93 octane, fill with E85, then run the car until it clears the old gas?

Filippo

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’d think draining the tank would be a total PITA. And with E85 not always being 85% ethanol, one idea is to tune 93 octane with about two gallons of 93 octane, run it down to one gallon and then add a 5 gallon can of E99 from VP Racing Fuels or wherever. Doing the math you should end up with close to 85% ethanol which should be verified with an ethanol content sensor. Then tune for E85.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So I've not read this anywhere (maybe I missed it): does anyone know what two tunes are required (and on ethanol, what's the rating desired)?

Filippo