N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
More specifically, as soon as we get some good logs from people running the OTS maps on various E blends and tweak the interpolation tables if needed. So far I have not received a single one.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
When will the official release be? No beta.
This is a pretty involved setup. Think of the beta as "release candidate" quality software - that is, the authors have vetted enough to have confidence that no major issues will cause harm to the public. Now it is a question of testing on grander scale to flush out smaller issues - that's the beta. No one has a crystal ball; just turn the crank, release new software builds until the remaining issues are resolved.

Filippo

Hill'n'toe

Private
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
335Xi
There will never be an optimized OTS map for E85. Running E85 on OTS FlexFuel is basically the same as your 91/93 pump map power wise. If you wish to run E85 regularly, I advise you to get a pro-tune, so your tuner can evaluate your fuel system and recommend you upgrades appropriately if needed.

It's a real disappointment.

In the first post, you were saying :
Go from straight 93oct to 100% E85 or E98 on the same flash
smile-gif.gif
So, am I missing something or did I misunderstood ?

I'm looking for praticality, I just want to get the possibility to run a full tank of E85 or 95 or 98 or a mix without thinking about it. I am really enthousiat about this project but I wanted to be sure that it's the good way to go for me and Pro Tune was not in my plan. I'm full stock except for a stage 2 LPFP (purchased for full E85..). The stage 1 pump gas performance level is enough for me right now.
First question, will it be safe to run 100% E85 on OTS FlexFuel ?
Second one, if not, could you please give me the contact of a pro tuner who could help me and the average cost of a map ?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
It's a real disappointment.

In the first post, you were saying : "Go from straight 93oct to 100% E85 or E98 on the same flash
smile-gif.gif
"
So, am I missing something or did I misunderstood ?
First question, will it be safe to run 100% E85 on OTS FlexFuel ?
Second one, if not, could you please give me the contact of a pro tuner who could help me and the average cost of a map ?

Yes, I said on the same flash, not OTS flash. There are only MHD OTS maps up to E50. Being fully stock w/ a stage 2 lpfp you would probably be fine with full E85, but would need to see some logs to verify.

However, as stated, the OTS FlexFuel tables will taper off load/boost above E50 to reduce fueling requirement, and it steeply tapers back to the pump gas boost level.

OTS FlexFuel allows users the convenience of not have to measure or calculate their blends anymore, and not have to reflash when the blend changes. If someone fills up blends higher than E50, again no need to reflash, you will just deal w/ the lower power until the tank empties some and you can dilute it with some pump 91/93.

OTS is really not intended for those who plan to run full E85 regularly, those users should get a flex fuel pro-tune to take advantage of it. Plenty of good tuners to pick from on here: Chris and Jake H @MOTIV Motorsport, Justin @V8bait, Ken @WedgePerformance

Reactions: Hill'n'toe

blisstik

Corporal
Mar 27, 2018
Ride
E92 MOTIV750 (Sold)
E85 and practicality don't really go together. E85 can average to 12mpg or 8 with full PI. It's like running a V10 and it pulls like a train.

Guess what you'll need sticker tires, wider wheels and a lockdown kit for your LSD so your axles don't rip. That's all part of the equation.

Oh yeah you'll need a protune since all cars are different. OTS is like wearing the same medium shirt

Reactions: Jeffman

mang.vang

Private
Sep 28, 2017
Ride
09 e90
More specifically, as soon as we get some good logs from people running the OTS maps on various E blends and tweak the interpolation tables if needed. So far I have not received a single one.

Il get you a couple logs today. Planning on filling up on a little more ethanol today possibly to get closer to e50. Currently at e35.

Reactions: Jake@MHD

mang.vang

Private
Sep 28, 2017
Ride
09 e90
It should not take a few minutes. The ECA does take a few seconds to boot and start supplying the DME with the signal, but you should be able to sit in the car (ign off), start monitoring on MHD, press ign on (don't start car, just ign on) and wait maybe 8-10 seconds and see Ethanol % populate correctly. Let me know when you are able to upload some logs of various E%'s :)

Here is an image of just ign on.
2iuuq03.jpg

Ilkka

Private
Sep 7, 2017
Ride
N54 335i e92
The ECA takes a few seconds to boot and start sending it's signal to the DME

Does the system remember the e% at a start however, so that the above matters only right after filling up at a pump and changing the e%?

mang.vang

Private
Sep 28, 2017
Ride
09 e90
Does the system remember the e% at a start however, so that the above matters only right after filling up at a pump and changing the e%?

From my experience it takes a decent amount of driving before the ethanol and fuel are properly mixed to get you an accurate reading. After filling up the eca showed 46% and after 20-30mins of driving it settled at 35%.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The ECA takes a few seconds to boot and start sending it's signal to the DME. It gets its power at IGN on. I would suggest single pressing the button a few seconds before you start the car.

Is there a way to change this to the Terminal 30g? I think this is the one that activates when you unlock the car.

Reactions: Jeffman

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Is there a way to change this to the Terminal 30g? I think this is the one that activates when you unlock the car.

Shouldn't this be locked to the EKPS module? BMW has already figured out how to get the various systems in the car prepped for startup and the EKPS module manages the low pressure fuel system. Basically when the EKPS decides it is time to power up the LPFP system it should power up the ECA too.

blisstik

Corporal
Mar 27, 2018
Ride
E92 MOTIV750 (Sold)
Shouldn't this be locked to the EKPS module? BMW has already figured out how to get the various systems in the car prepped for startup and the EKPS module manages the low pressure fuel system. Basically when the EKPS decides it is time to power up the LPFP system it should power up the ECA too.

Tap the positive wire from the LPFP then?

• Disagree
Reactions: Jake@MHD

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Tap the positive wire from the LPFP then?

No. Please do not go re-wiring anything. It is the way it is for a reason.

There are two power wires in the harness, one goes to the DME which provides a very steady and regulated 5V to the ECA, and the other to the 12V splice which passes through and powers the Continental sensor. The ECA does take a few seconds to boot, but it should not really be noticeable unless there is an issue. We will get an official timing tonight.

Additionally, the new routines I added do not run until IGN on (this was done intentionally and for very important reasons). So at the absolute earliest, you will not get an E% reading until IGN on.