DIY : PTFE line- tank to HPFP + inline fuel filter upgrade

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
And how many people do you think will also come back and tell everyone how stupid they were for doing that when they have an injector get stock open?

My HPFP filter was gunked up if you saw it in an earlier post.

EDIT: Also, I'm not saying the 6 micron filter you posted won't work. I'm just raising the question, asking if we have any actual evidence about its performance.

Look at the quote from the article. He stated that the microglass 6 micron tested well and was recommended.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yes, I read that and I have a feeling it will be okay which is why I posted the links, probably going to go the same route. But I thought I'd ask the question as I have not seen any actual testing done by anyone who makes a filter.

This is the link to the Fuel Lab filter and housing: https://www.amazon.com/Fuelab-81831-1-Standard-Fiberglass-Element/dp/B019XF7UAU/

Are these filter elements interchangeable between brands? I think I saw several different brand housings being used, curious how you guys made that decision besides price point.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Yes, I read that and I have a feeling it will be okay which is why I posted the links, probably going to go the same route. But I thought I'd ask the question as I have not seen any actual testing done by anyone who makes a filter.

This is the link to the Fuel Lab filter and housing: https://www.amazon.com/Fuelab-81831-1-Standard-Fiberglass-Element/dp/B019XF7UAU/

Are these filter elements interchangeable between brands? I think I saw several different brand housings being used, curious how you guys made that decision besides price point.

I agree with you. I wish there was more testing. You can find tons and tons of information on oil and air filters. I originally planned on using the 10 micron aeromotive microglass filter. That is why I used an aeromotive filter housing. When looking for fittings I came across the racetronix filter housing which is much cheaper. From what I have found most of the 10ORB housings are compatible with the 3" filter. If I was doing it again I would probably just go with a fuellab housing and filter.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I agree with you. I wish there was more testing. You can find tons and tons of information on oil and air filters. I originally planned on using the 10 micron aeromotive microglass filter. That is why I used an aeromotive filter housing. When looking for fittings I came across the racetronix filter housing which is much cheaper. From what I have found most of the 10ORB housings are compatible with the 3" filter. If I was doing it again I would probably just go with a fuellab housing and filter.

The one I linked is a -6 which seems to be the line that everyone is upgrading to.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This is the easiest way

View attachment 10070
I like how you've stuck the sensor right after the filter. Which fittings are being used here? Standard 3/8 QD to 6AN I presume, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Russell-640853-Quick-Disconnect-Female-Fitting/dp/B001P2CKVY/

Your sensor is slightly different than mine it seems, the inlet and outlet pipes are longer.

upload_2018-4-3_10-38-45.png

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Had some similar conversation in another forum about the stainless steel oil filters. The discussion was somewhat on how filtering is rated, standards, testing methods.

When a product is advertised at x micron, this may often just be marketing getting involved because that is what people expect to see. The problem is, the micron size is useless information without know the testing method or efficiency (Beta Ratio) of the filter.

For example, I can say my filter will trap 6 micron size particles! The catch is, how many of them will they catch? What you need to know is "at 6 micron, the Beta Ratio is 1.5 (33%)" and "at 25 micron the beta is 10 (90%)".

The marketing people will grab the lowest number (6 in this example) even though many much larger particles will pass through.

I'm reading more into this after I called Aeromotive. They state that their 10 micron filters (the fiberglass filter I inquired about) was an absolute rating rather than a 'nominal' rating. So they are basically saying that when using a constant sized media, it will capture all particles beyond 10 micron. This is the filter:
https://www.amazon.com/Aeromotive-12350-Inline-Filter-Micron/dp/B012HQPK0E/

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
This is a very informative thread. I'm wondering if we can somehow get a list of parts (as the story twists and turns) somewhere so we can run with it? I'm about to do my fuel system for flexfuel (complete line replacement, but not installing my single barrel yet) and trying to figure out ... what are the fittings (type/quality), which filter/housing, remove HPFP or not, ... drilling? ... et cetera.

One other question ... that plastic filter that is inline on the fuel rail ... anyone hazard a guess as to how fine that is?

Filippo

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
This is a very informative thread. I'm wondering if we can somehow get a list of parts (as the story twists and turns) somewhere so we can run with it? I'm about to do my fuel system for flexfuel (complete line replacement, but not installing my single barrel yet) and trying to figure out ... what are the fittings (type/quality), which filter/housing, remove HPFP or not, ... drilling? ... et cetera.

One other question ... that plastic filter that is inline on the fuel rail ... anyone hazard a guess as to how fine that is?

Filippo

I still feel that racetronix is the way to go for line and fittings simply because they offer a large variety of hose ends. The quality seemed excellent and I have no issues. I used the quick connect with the screw on ends as shown above. I have read about the plastic style coming unclipped. The difference with the hose ends is you do not have to use and adapter then a hose end. Also PTFE is the way to go if running ethanol. I am helping a local run a new feed line with an inline ethanol sensor. We will be running new line for his port injection as well so everything will be PTFE. I will post pictures once it is complete. As for the filter that is person preference. To me there is not much difference in housings but I would get a quality filter.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Those fittings are crap

Use these far sturdier and all metal and not those crap plastic inserts that pop off

These fitting will never come off

http://speedflowdirect.com.au/itemdetailspage/46252

Or from aeroflow

https://www.enginemaster.com.au/aeroflow-quick-connect-3-8-to-6an-fuel-line-rail-p

Oh thanks, I managed to cancel my order just in time. Here is another link to buy the Aeroflow fittings, and its cheaper:

https://www.aeroflowperformance.com/af808-02blk

Is there no source in the US to buy a metal fitting?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
This fuel rail keeps coming back to me. Why is it that BMW used the fuel rail from the N53 on the 135i and 1M N54 cars which is a different part number from the fuel rail thats on all other N54 3, 5, 7 series, X6, and Z4 cars ?

[EDITED BASED ON BLASTER3500's comments]

Logically since the 1M is rated the most powerful N54 car using the N53 fuel rail, would this be suggesting the N53 fuel rail part number has better flow ? I cant fine any physical differences between the two part numbers from a picture view.

This bears more investigation:

This is the E9x / E89 etc N54 fuel rail: 13537575480 (realoem)
This is the E82 1M and 135i N54 cars, AND N53 normally aspirated cars fuel rail: 13537535897 (realoem)
So back to Dimitri's question, why is the naturally aspirated fuel rail used on the 1M and 135i? So this is a bit exhausting, but if you chase the cross-references, it seems the 480 fuel rail is largely used with the N54-based cars, except the 897 is used on the 1M and 135i N54 cars (as well as a bunch of N53 normally aspirated cars).

I think Dimitri's question is a good question ... what's different about the 1M fuel rail?

Filippo

Last edited:

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
This bears more investigation:

This is the E9x / E89 etc N54 fuel rail: 13537575480 (realoem)
This is the E82 1M and 135i N54 cars, AND N53 normally aspirated cars fuel rail: 13537535897 (realoem)
So back to Dimitri's question, why is the naturally aspirated fuel rail used on the 1M and 135i? According to Barry Battle, to the best of his recollection when building a 1M motor not long ago, he does not recall the plastic fuel filter residing in the fuel rail, but he says he could be wrong. So this is a bit exhausting, but if you chase the cross-references, it seems the 480 fuel rail is largely used with the N54-based cars, except the 897 is used on the 1M and 135i N54 cars (as well as a bunch of N53 normally aspirated cars).

I think Dimitri's question is a good question ... what's different about the 1M fuel rail, and what's up with the filter in that rail? Does it is exist? What's different between the two rails? Since this whole conversation is really about the injector filtering requirements, I think this is very salient.

Filippo

The filter is in the high pressure pump not in the fuel rail. I am curious the difference between the two rails as well.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The filter is in the high pressure pump not in the fuel rail. I am curious the difference between the two rails as well.
Thanks. I edited my post above. I missed that. After reading the thread I connected the filter with the first photo of the rail being drilled ... not enough coffee yet.

One other question on restrictions - does anyone know if the ECA acts as a significant restrictor?

Filippo

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Thanks. I edited my post above. I missed that. After reading the thread I connected the filter with the first photo of the rail being drilled ... not enough coffee yet.

One other question on restrictions - does anyone know if the ECA acts as a significant restrictor?

Filippo

There are different 'rails' and 'lines' etc.

There is the low pressure feed line coming from the tank, its made up of three main segments. The long run from the driver side of the tank, which turns into the 'short line' by the firewall, which connects to a very short hard line which hosts the LPFP sensor and this screws onto the HPFP inlet. This inlet is a short pipe itself and inside that pipe is the HPFP filter.

The HPFP outlet connects to a 1/4" hardline that runs up to the actual fuel rail. There is a tiny hole shown in an earlier photo of that hole which is bored out, all fuel to the fuel rail goes through this restrictor.

The size of the rail compared to this restriction makes me think the rail acts as a chamber for pressurized fuel. So dips in the HPFP output are cushioned by the pressurized fuel in this rail, which restricts the pressure in the chamber from equalizing too quickly with the lower pressure side of the restrictor.

By boring this hole out too much, when you have HPFP performance issues or the natural up and down nature of the pumps pressure, the rail pressure sensor will see the fluctuation and throw codes. There should be an optimal bore size of that restrictor in relation to maximum flow, where fuel consumption is part of the equation. Just a theory.