Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Interesting about the M launch and temp. For non m I found that it probably doesn’t.
I specifically started and warmed up my car but didn’t drive far (200m max 1/8 mile) ie the trans should have been cold but engine warm and it worked

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I have a thought ....
we should log which people have which cars and had what done to them successfully. If there’s issues we should see them in the data. For eg 135vs335. N54vs55 the various month/years as well as whether or not they’ve gone the whole hog m3 conversion.

Some years software versions of modules will work better than others. Knowing who’s got what we can create a picture of what causes issues or not as the case may be.

• Agree
Reactions: houtan and RSL

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
On the way to get some fresh E85 last night I logged this for you guys. Proof the shifts are good :)

I'll work on a video soon.

View attachment 11198
Thanks! Definitely much better than the floaty stuff that was going on. What gears are those? Not sure what that jittery RPM is into the 3rd and 4th gears, may still be a little something going on or maybe it's just how the M3 TCU shifts look. If @BQTuning is still on this, might consider letting him play with the DME side tranny tuning now that we have at least one fully working setup active and see what can be done differently.

Whether it takes a diff swap or not in the end, glad it is working. Excellent work on this whole thing!

Interesting about the M launch and temp. For non m I found that it probably doesn’t.
I specifically started and warmed up my car but didn’t drive far (200m max 1/8 mile) ie the trans should have been cold but engine warm and it worked
I really don't remember, but want to say there was at least some weird minimum mileage limit before it would engage on the M (like 6.2 miles or something). I'm assuming that was just an alternate method of estimating when operating temp is reached. 135i TCU also seems to have a minimum mileage or temp and it seems longer for me than the 335is LC.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Thanks! Definitely much better than the floaty stuff that was going on. What gears are those? Not sure what that jittery RPM is into the 3rd and 4th gears, may still be a little something going on or maybe it's just how the M3 TCU shifts look. If @BQTuning is still on this, might consider letting him play with the DME side tranny tuning now that we have at least one fully working setup active and see what can be done differently.

Whether it takes a diff swap or not in the end, glad it is working. Excellent work on this whole thing!

I really don't remember, but want to say there was at least some weird minimum mileage limit before it would engage on the M (like 6.2 miles or something). I'm assuming that was just an alternate method of estimating when operating temp is reached. 135i TCU also seems to have a minimum mileage or temp and it seems longer for me than the 335is LC.

Heh, that jittery stuff in 3rd is slight wheel spin. The jittery stuff in 4th is part of the M3's drivelogic integrated into the dynamic stability control. If you upshift and abruptly let off the throttle it disengages the clutch so you don't upset the car's balance. It sounds wierd but the end result is incredibly smooth transition from full acceleration to immediate deceleration. No herky jerky because the trans is keeping all that herky jerky from ever touching the rear wheels. This is the 3.15 M3 pumpkin.

And yea, I could engage the 335is LC on a very cold car. Here with the M3 logic running things I have to have a fully warmed car for LC to engage.

Last edited:

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
And side note. Doc Race 6266 setup is scheduled for delivery on Monday . . .

And slightly related note. We are 2 weeks away from MFactory shipping out their DCT Single Mass Flywheels... This is going to be a fun fun fun summer :)

Reactions: BMWJunkie

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I love this thread! lol

quick question, in manual mode, can you bounce off the rev limiter now or does the car still auto shift. On the dyno last week my car kept shifting early, and sometimes when the tires are spinning I get a really early autoshift from second to third that just kills acceleration.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I tend to short shift in M mode unless I'm logging. But I did boucy bounce off the rev limiter in 1st yesterday a little because it went by faster than I was expecting.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
NICE! Thanks for the info.

If a solution isn't figured out with the stock HW on the N55, I will do this just for that. Hopefully someone is able to confirm this can work on an N55 DCT 1er using the 2.56. I think at least one person in this thread had a N55 1er. Fingers are crossed.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Heh, that jittery stuff in 3rd is slight wheel spin. The jittery stuff in 4th is part of the M3's drivelogic integrated into the dynamic stability control. If you upshift and abruptly let off the throttle it disengages the clutch so you don't upset the car's balance. It sounds wierd but the end result is incredibly smooth transition from full acceleration to immediate deceleration. No herky jerky because the trans is keeping all that herky jerky from ever touching the rear wheels. This is the 3.15 M3 pumpkin.

And yea, I could engage the 335is LC on a very cold car. Here with the M3 logic running things I have to have a fully warmed car for LC to engage.
Thanks. Since these are first full force actually working conversion logs, just looking for an idea what looks different in logs and, of what's different, is it something that can still be improved on. Looking forward to being able to muck with it on my car at some point soon I hope.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Thanks. Since these are first full force actually working conversion logs, just looking for an idea what looks different in logs and, of what's different, is it something that can still be improved on. Looking forward to being able to muck with it on my car at some point soon I hope.

I wanted to do some more logs for you guys tonight but I left my android tablet at work :confounded:

I need to start taking some videos of things in action to splice together a video of all that was accomplished in this thread, maybe I can do some of that tonight.

Reactions: aus335iguy and RSL

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I got some logs last night while making these videos but I was logging tons of parameters so the resolution on the logs is low. I'll get a couple RPM only logs today that have high resolution to show true shift speeds.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Great job on the video. The shifts look awesome!

I have "started" this a couple times now and stop myself remembering the shifting problem I am going to have.

Itching to order a LSD but we still don't know what final ratios will work. And getting that kind of work done here is difficult.

Last edited: