Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Guys, I want this section to remain private for a bit. I'll work on a first draft of a public post we can put out there for the masses in the next week or so. But you guys all contributed to this and I want you all to have the ability to put your $0.02 into the post AND get first dibs on the ebay/secondary market for any of these M3 modules that you may need to adapt this to your build(s). We can let the unwashed hordes pick through the parts after we have gotten what we want first :).

I should have a first draft of a public post for our internal review today or tomorrow.

LOL, I like the way you think.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Here's a list of Ebay sellers and their stores I used to source 95% of the parts for those looking:
axismotors_m3
leecparts
mpartsworldwide
porucznikm
Mporiumbmw
specialized german recycling
tae used auto parts

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Guys, I want this section to remain private for a bit. I'll work on a first draft of a public post we can put out there for the masses in the next week or so. But you guys all contributed to this and I want you all to have the ability to put your $0.02 into the post AND get first dibs on the ebay/secondary market for any of these M3 modules that you may need to adapt this to your build(s). We can let the unwashed hordes pick through the parts after we have gotten what we want first :).

I should have a first draft of a public post for our internal review today or tomorrow.
I'll start looking for remaining bits ASAP :) I'd buy the GSW new if I have to, but could almost buy everything used for the price of just that from BMW.

@BMWJunkie any word on the adjustment factor from Jake?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I have not had the time to write the code yet.
Thanks for the update. From his post, sounded like he had it already and was going to test over the weekend or I wouldn't have asked and would just be waiting patiently :)

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Thanks for the update. From his post, sounded like he had it already and was going to test over the weekend or I wouldn't have asked and would just be waiting patiently :)

I'm just looking towards the future with that line.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Amazing stuff. Fantastic research and great effort put forth in this thread. I am impressed that we all came together to solve this issue!

My 335is won't be receiving a 3.15 rear end, but I am extremely hopeful that @jyamona will be able to change the multiplier for the final drive. How can I help with this development? I'll gladly pay for the feature to be implemented (XDF/MHD). Beer/Coffee? :p

Thank you for your dilligence, @dyezak What an amazing run you've had with your 'is... well beyond what I expected! I'll help with whatever I can to help a 'build thread'. I took some photos along the way but got frustrated with the sluggish D mode and stopped documenting. :(

Reactions: doublespaces

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
After the fam went to bed I took it for a test drive with the heat shields and exhaust back on. Such a pleasure to drive. I just need to fix that VC now because the boost leak is getting worse. Probably a job for tomorrow.

Reactions: aus335iguy

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Good to be wrapping up this project for you I'm sure.

Been thinking about an LSD but now the FD ratio choices may be wide open if Jake gets it sorted out.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
OT, but first thought was M3NIS for phonetic "menace", but wouldn't want something that close to "p3nis" on my plate hahaha

meanis.jpg

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Does the document have change tracking ability? If like to suggest changes in sections but allow you to reject. For instance, I suggest keeping the document just for mdct and shift logic, removing mdrive references and steps. Create a second document for going full retard... Uh, M, with dsc szl and mdrive settings. I had a topic thunder flash back.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Guys to be honest I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want an m3 rear end, price aside. They are another level

It's a gearing thing. Factory M3 Diff's are only 3.85 or 3.15. With the DCT that means your top speed is 167mph or 140mph. A big fun activity here now is 1/2mi runway racing and most of the cars that do this type of mod would overrun that. So then you have to factor in the cost of getting the M3 diff re-geared, and the availability of 2.81 gears (what you really want in this situation) is very limited.

The holy grail that I'll probably hit next summer is 2.81 M3 diff with a built N54 and an 8000rpm redline. But that single turbo is next :).

Reactions: boostE92d

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
It's a gearing thing. Factory M3 Diff's are only 3.85 or 3.15. With the DCT that means your top speed is 167mph or 140mph. A big fun activity here now is 1/2mi runway racing and most of the cars that do this type of mod would overrun that. So then you have to factor in the cost of getting the M3 diff re-geared, and the availability of 2.81 gears (what you really want in this situation) is very limited.

The holy grail that I'll probably hit next summer is 2.81 M3 diff with a built N54 and an 8000rpm redline. But that single turbo is next :).

Now that I post that I find two 2.81 ring and pinions less than 30min from me on flea-bay. Sigh...do I grab one now???