N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

blisstik

Corporal
Mar 27, 2018
Ride
E92 MOTIV750 (Sold)
Between the AIC1 and FF harness, there are 10 wires to connect. Let's break them down.

AIC1
1. Black - ground
2. Red - switched 12v
3. Green (tmap) - direct connection to blue wire of FF

---

4. Yellow - pin 21 of gray connector

Question 1: does the AIC1 yellow wire tap the existing OEM wire (creating a Y)? Or does it replace it so the OEM wire is just hanging loose?

---

Flex Fuel

1. Black - ground
2. Red - switched 12v
3. Blue (tmap) - direct connection to green wire of AIC1

---

4. Yellow - pin 10 large black connector; this is a Y so pull out OEM female pin, put in the FF female pin, then connect OEM female pin to the male pin of the FF

Question 2: does this sound right?

---

5. Green - pin 16 small connector; this is only a female pin so the OEM female pin gets pulled out and the FF female pin goes in the connector

Question 3: what happens to the OEM female pin? does it just hang loose?

---

6. Orange - pin 25 large black connector; this is only a female pin so the OEM female pin gets pulled out and the FF female pin goes in the connector

Question 4: what happens to the OEM female pin? does it just hang loose?

I am not a very videogenic person. I don't think in terms of video production. I'll try and do a video for you guys but I might end up just grabbing still captures out of the videos and do a written guide.

Also, 90% of the work is covered by ******* and their Fuel Line + ECA + E% Sensor kit videos. All this Motiv kit will add is the different wiring harness to the DME and the re-pinning of the connectors. I'll make sure to spend most of my time covering that portion.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces
D

Deleted member 2204

I contacted them on friday and got the following reply;

"the flex fuel integration will be done in the next few weeks"

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
So the Motiv release was just a stall tactic or a way to get people locked in? While I know this will be great once it's eventually released, the rollout hasn't been what I would call an exercise in success.

Motiv's product came and is very nice quality though, as well as their packaging. Top notch. Now its time to just release the important part.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Seems a little more cynical than necessary.

Maybe, but what's the hold up now? Why release the hardware before the software is ready? If the software was the hold up originally, why not release the hardware a year ago when things were ready? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the software was a lot of work, but why the staggered release dates?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Also, I got a PM from MHD on FB a month ago and they said pricing and final release date was going to be that week, so clearly something must have hiccuped.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
There seems to be lot of progress where people have been able to get what they need to get the hardware installed. Now they will be ready as soon as the software is.

Seems worth it to me. No reason to sit on the hardware if there is no reason

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
There seems to be lot of progress where people have been able to get what they need to get the hardware installed. Now they will be ready as soon as the software is.

Seems worth it to me. No reason to sit on the hardware if there is no reason

By that logic, why didn't the hardware go on sale many months ago when Motiv said they had tons sitting in stock?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
The hardware was promised as part of the March giveaway on here, so it had to align with that even though the MHD half ended up requiring a bit more time in the oven. The hardware and it's firmware also changed quite a bit over the last year.

Also, doing an initial sale of the hardware first helped gauge response to determine how many to produce for the second batch. We are trying to always have them stocked. A software module does not have that issue.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Totally understandable Jake. Please don't take this as criticism, but more "exuberant enthusiasm". I'm sure you'll be glad to take a short breath once the mhd update is released. Then it's back to work!

Is there any ballpark eta for the mhd update? Are we looking at another week, or closer to a month?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Quite frankly although I'm just as anxious as everyone else to have the MHD module released, getting the hardware first allowed me to install the hardware (without connections to the DME) and ensure the hardware itself is A-OK (i.e. no fuel leaks). Now once the MHD module is released I just need a new map, and 20min and I will be flexed.

blisstik

Corporal
Mar 27, 2018
Ride
E92 MOTIV750 (Sold)
Also a new AIC1 map

Quite frankly although I'm just as anxious as everyone else to have the MHD module released, getting the hardware first allowed me to install the hardware (without connections to the DME) and ensure the hardware itself is A-OK (i.e. no fuel leaks). Now once the MHD module is released I just need a new map, and 20min and I will be flexed.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So the Motiv release was just a stall tactic or a way to get people locked in?
Ouch. Like locked in against the competitive flex fuel solution? Ecoboost?

When one does product, one gets consistency through repetition. When the product is new, repetition is zero to very low, so predictability is very difficult. The saying - the last 20% has 80% of the work ... when doing something new, one cannot estimate everything that will happen and that they will have to resolve.

If only they were so good as to employ a stall tactic - I think they've got their hands full birthing a multi-sided product.

Filippo